Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dr. Luther King Martin

So I was laying in bed with my oldest daughter and she begins to tell me a story about Dr. Luther King Martin (that is what she called him). She starts telling me that she learned that he helped the black people sit where ever they wanted to on the bus and that he helped the white people be nice to the black people. I realized that this would be a good moment to discuss how we are all different and that no matter what we look like, that we are all the same. I was also curious as to how she saw herself, since growing up I was always confused where I fit in with the whole "white" and "black" thing. She said that she was black and that her dad was also black. I asked her what I was, and she said, "white". That really threw me off since our skin color is the same. I asked her why she thought that, in which she replied in a very matter of fact tone, "well, the white people were always telling the black people what to do, and you are always telling me and dad what to do, so we are black and you are white". Say what? I was speechless.

1 comment:

Welsh World said...

Yep, she is 100% right...you are a bossy (bleep)! She gets an "A". Ha,Ha...that is the funniest story and I love to tell people it.